Wednesday, June 9, 2010

currently reading :: The Enchantress of Florence


Salman Rushdie

I will admit, one of the main reasons I wanted to read this book is because it has Florence in the title. And I love Florence. The second main reason I wanted to read this book is because I am a big fan of the cover. Big fan. Someday I intend to decorate a room in my house inspired by it. The third reason I wanted to read this book is because I've heard wonderful things about Salman Rushdie. All good reasons!

Summary: The Enchantress of Florence is the story of a mysterious woman, a great beauty believed to possess the powers of enchantment and sorcery, attempting to command her own destiny in a man's world. It is the story of two cities at the height of their powers--the hedonistic Mughal capital, in which the brilliant emperor Akbar the Great wrestles daily with questions of belief, desire, and the treachery of his sons, and the equally sensual city of Florence during the High Renaissance, where Niccolò Machiavelli take a starring role as he learns, the hard way, about the true brutality of power. Profoundly moving and completely enchanting, The Enchantress of Florence is a dazzling book full of wonder by one of the world's most important living writers.
Summary from the book jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment