Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Happy International Literacy Day!

September 8 is International Literacy Day. If you visit the International Reading Association's web site, you'll see that more than 780 million adults worldwide do not know how to read and write. Two-thirds of that number are women. And somewhere between 94 and 115 million children lack access to education.

I learned to read at a young age, and I had three younger brothers (and sometimes the neighborhood dog) to read myriads of books to. In my family, reading has always been an important and valued pastime. Today, I'm grateful to have been raised and educated in a literate family and country. I just can't imagine life without books and the written word.

In honor of International Literacy Day, here are some of my favorite books throughout childhood, books that made me the reader and writer I am today!

A Bear Called Paddington 

Stone Soup

The Hungry Thing 

The Giving Tree 40th Anniversary Edition Book with CD

Are You My Mother? (Beginner Books(R))

The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (First Time Books(R))

 Green Eggs and Ham (I Can Read It All by Myself Beginner Books)
Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Book Level 2)

 Mr. Popper's Penguins 

 Sarah, Plain and Tall

Little House on the Prairie Boxed Set 

A Little Princess

The Betsy-Tacy Treasury

Island of the Blue Dolphins

And, more recently....
The Harry Potter series--even though I read them as an adult!
Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7)


What were some of YOUR favorite books growing up?

No comments:

Post a Comment