Tuesday, January 5, 2010

this is fun to say

ever and anon
(AKA: now and then; occasionally)


What a great phrase! I really wish people still used the word "anon" in everyday speech. My co-worker (a fellow word lover and avid book reader) and I like to use it in the office sometimes. Just because we can. He recently spotted "anon" in the English translation of a contemporary Swedish novel. I like to think that the translator chose to use "anon" in the translation, because he/she too regrets that it is somewhat obsolete.

2 comments:

  1. I would just like to add two other words hardly anybody uses anymore: alas and albeit.
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Monika! This same co-worker uses alas on a regular basis too. There is something about it that is very respectably dramatic.

    ReplyDelete