Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Currently Reading :: Kafka on the Shore

Haruki Murakami


Summary: Kafka on the Shore is powered by by two remarkable characters: a teenage boy, Kafka Tamura, who runs away from home either to escape a gruesome oedipal prophecy or to search for his long-missing mother and sister; and an aging simpleton called Nakata, who never recovered from a wartime affliction and now is drawn toward Kafka for reasons that, like the most basic activities of daily life, he cannot fathom. Their odyssey, as mysterious to them as it is to us, is enriched throughout by vivid accomplices and mesmerizing events.
[Summary from www.borders.com]

This book was lent to me by a co-worker. I have been warned that is is "different" and I need to be prepared to disengage from reality and the structure of time. I have only read two chapters so far, and they were normal--and written very well, I might add--but I can see in Chapter 3 that there is a talking cat...

No comments:

Post a Comment