Monday, February 8, 2010

word of the day :: offal

offal:
[aw-fuhl, of-uhl]

–noun
1. the parts of a butchered animal that are considered inedible by human beings; carrion.
2. the parts of a butchered animal removed in dressing; viscera.
3. refuse; rubbish; garbage.

Origin:
1350-1400; ME, equiv. to of OFF fal FALLcf. D afval
"I have often told you that I am that little fish who swims about under a shark and, I believe, lives indelicately on its offal. Anyway, that is the way I am. Life moves over me in a vast black shadow and I swallow whatever it drops with relish, having learned in a very hard school that one cannot be both a parasite and enjoy self-nourishment without moving in worlds too fantastic for even my disordered imagination to people with meaning."
 :: Zelda Fitzgerald ::
* Definition from www.dictionary.com

No comments:

Post a Comment